Thursday, September 1, 2011

More Daily Five Freebies - Read to Someone

Happy September!!! Can you feel fall in the air?? HA...it is a balmy 97 degrees in Bama! CAN'T WAIT for all things fall....apples, pumpkins, and leaves, oh my! I stopped at Bath and Body Works to get some hand soap and left an hour later with a MASSIVE headache because I sniffed all the new fall scents...Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin is still my absolute fave! :)

Let's talk Daily Five! How is it going??? We have built our stamina to 13 minutes for Read to Self (so I am FINALLY able to begin assessing) and 9 minutes for Work on Writing. We introduced Read to Someone this week and it is going great! We are up to 6 minutes!

This is our what our Daily Five time looks like currently ~

10 minutes - review three ways to read a book, I PICK chart, and Read to Self chart
13 minutes - Read to Self
5 minutes - add to stamina chart and review Work on Writing chart
9 minutes - Work on Writing
5 minutes - add to Work on Writing stamina chart and review Read to Someone chart
6 minutes - Read to Someone

Click HERE for the Read to Someone anchor chart

Click HERE for the EEKK poster *I did NOT write this poem! I have seen it floating around the internet...I just made it match my other posters! Please let me know if you know the original author so I can give credit! :)

Click HERE for the Read to Someone activity sheet (fill in the blank anchor chart)

Next week, we will have 2 work sessions and students will be able to choose between Read to Self and Work on Writing. I was really anxious about this last year, but because I know how awesome it is, I can't wait this year!!!

TGI-almost- F!!! :)

12 comments:

teaching fashionista said...

Kelli! I have to let you know I love reading your blog! It's awesome...
I'm so interested in the daily 5! It seems like it's being done everywhere, was there a guide that you used to get you started?

Kristin said...

I am so sad that I can't use the Daily 5 - and a little bit angry but I've got to let that go!!!! You inspire me . . . and that's all that matters!
Kristin
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

Todd said...

Kelli ~ So glad to read your excitement about the Daily 5. I'm a first timer with the D5 this year and am really jazzed about it! We're ready to let the kids choose for the first time this week as well. Yippee! Go Stamina!! ~ Tracy

Mel D said...

I just nominated you for one of my Top Ten Blogs! Go grab your top ten button at TBA here http://bit.ly/rtHPbL.
Here is a link to my blog post where I nominated you http://seusstastic.blogspot.com/2011/09/thank-you-mrs-saylor.html
Peace, Mel D
Oh the Places We’ll Go

Kristin said...

Well, apparently, I'm a bit late. I just awarded you one of my Top Ten Blogs, too! So you're featured twice! :) Hooray for you!
Here's my link to the post talking about it: http://ateenytinyteacher.blogspot.com/2011/09/top-ten-award-no-way.html
And don't forget to to TBA to get your button: http://bit.ly/rtHPbL.

Kristin
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

BAK Pack Photography said...

Kristin, I am so excited to follow your blog. I am jumping right into the Daily 5 this year. I dabbled a little last year. I look forward to gaining some insight about it from you.

Kelli :) said...

Thank you soooooo much Mel D and Kristin!!!!! I could just die!!! So shocked and flattered! :)

Unknown said...

I love hearing about how others are doing Launching the Daily 5. My class is doing pretty good at Read to Self but I have one little sweetie who is keeping us from getting far on Work on Writing. It may take us a little longer this year to reach our goal. However, that is what I love about this system, we have the option to take as long as we need. Some years are better than others, but I will break him!
-Andi @ Pencils, Glue, & Tying Shoes

Jennifer said...

Ok, I listed you as a Top 10 blog too! Check out the post here
http://rowdyinfirstgrade.blogspot.com/2011/09/great-surprise.html

Then grab your button here
http://www.teachingblogaddict.com/2011/05/top-10.html

Rowdy in First Grade

Christie said...

Hey Kelli! I LOVE your blog & just listed you on my TOP TEN LIST! Go to http://bit.ly/rtHPbL to grab your award button!
Christie :)
First Grade Fever

Unknown said...

Hey Kelli!
Just stopping by real quick to let you know, you are one of my Top 10 blogs =)
You can check out my post at Kinder Kraziness

Laura

Fourth Grade Flipper said...

I LOVE your blog!! I downloaded your EEKK anchor chart and will be posting about it on my Monday Made It tomorrow:) Thank you!
~Holly
Fourth Grade Flipper

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover